Bob Garrey, Partner
Bob Garrey is an experienced trial attorney who has represented businesses and individuals in high-stakes litigation matters since 1991. Bob worked for many years as a Partner in large Dallas law firms where he represented Fortune 500 companies, medium and small businesses and individuals involved in significant civil litigation matters where the clients had to win or simply could not afford to lose. If you find yourself or your business facing such a situation you need Bob’s help and helping people and businesses with legal problems is what Bob does best.
Bob and his team analyze each case and develop a customized trial plan that involves early case assessment, factual development, discovery and motion practice as well as trial preparation. By employing a strategic, focused approach to all of his cases, Bob is able to deliver winning results for his clients in a faster and more cost-effective manner.
Bob’s business litigation expertise consists of trying cases in state and federal court in Texas and across the nation involving a broad range of commercial, real estate and financial/lending disputes, business torts, trade secret misappropriation, oil and gas, defamation/invasion of privacy cases, and litigation resulting from competitive bidding for state and federal government outsourcing contracts. Bob frequently represents startups, technology companies, and their executives in private company disputes, fiduciary litigation and arbitration, and has often been retained by out of state law firms to serve as local counsel in state and federal court matters in Texas.
In the employment arena, Bob has successfully represented companies and individuals involved in Trade Secret and Non-compete disputes, FLSA and ERISA class actions, departing executive compensation, commission and severance disputes, discrimination claims and EEOC investigations.
Bob also has successfully represented a number of clients involved in significant Family Law disputes. Bob has handled contested divorce trials (for both men and women), disputes involving premarital agreements, property disputes, custody and support modifications, cases involving alleged misappropriation and/or wasting of community property, custody of children under the age of three, sexual addiction and substance abuse, and post-divorce modifications.
Areas of Practice
- Trade Secret and Non-compete Litigation
- Drafting, Negotiating and Litigating Employment Agreements
- Private Company Disputes/Business Divorces
- Social Media Litigation/Cyberbullying
- Commission and Severance Compensation Disputes
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Real Estate and Lending Litigation
- Oil and Gas Litigation
- FLSA and ERISA Class Action Defense
- High-Conflict Contested Divorce and Marital Property Litigation
- UDRP proceedings
- TRO and Injunction Proceedings
- Trials and Arbitrations
- Represented a startup British cell-phone company in a “Bet-the-Company” trade secret misappropriation, fraud and breach of contract case against a Fortune 100 company that resulted in a multi-million settlement in favor of client;
- Representation of Fortune 100 client in a multi-million dollar employee raiding and trade secret misappropriation case against a key competitor that had targeted and hired away key employees. Case settled on favorable terms for client on eve of trial;
- Representation of a Defendant distributor of commercial paints in a trade secret misappropriation suit arising from the use of certain customized paint colors for roofing tiles. The case was dismissed following the denial of the plaintiff’s request for injunctive relief;
- Representation of Oil and Gas development company in the Court of Federal Claims seeking the recovery of unpaid royalties under an offshore gas lease. Obtained a summary judgment in excess of $800,000.00 for client; .
- Successful representation of company seeking to compel a former employee to remove disparaging comments from various job boards;
- Successful representation of target of one-sided negative TV news story. Through negotiations with reporter and station executives, client’s statement was included in news story and harmful allegations were omitted from report;
- Successful representation at trial of female business owner in divorce proceeding in which ex-husband sought to obtain ownership of wife’s separate property company;
- Successful representation of financial executive in divorce and custody dispute in which ex-wife sought to contest a prenuptial agreement. Prenuptial agreement was enforced, and Husband awarded joint custody of minor children;
- Successful representation of Telecom Executive in hotly contested divorce proceeding involving ownership of real properties and shares in closely held companies;
- Representation of oil field tool manufacturer in a multi-million dollar breach of contract and fraud case files by a former distributor of its products. Obtained take-nothing defense verdict at trial;
- Obtained dismissal of financial advisory firm from class action ERISA lawsuit;
- Defeated Motion for Conditional Certification in FLSA Collective and Class Action resulting in settlement on favorable terms for client;
- Obtained Summary Judgment on behalf of employer dismissing former employee’s claims of sex and age discrimination and retaliation;
- Orchestrated a multi-front defense and the defeat of claims of trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract arising from efforts to hire three employees from a business partner.
- Successfully resolved a potentially damaging claim of discriminatory sales practices against national furniture retailer without any adverse media coverage of allegations;
- Successful representation of Health Benefits Company in suit against a former employee;
- Successful representation of terminated Oil & Gas executive in suit against former employer for breach of contract and fraud;
- Successfully thwarted effort by former employee to post disparaging comments about client’s business and members of its management team on social media and job forums;
- Successful management of EEOC investigation involving claims of retaliation;
- Trial and appellate victory for Healthcare Company accused of wrongful termination by former executive;
- Successful representation of terminated employee in lawsuit against former employer for breach of contract and defamation;
- Successful representation of physician in partnership dispute arising from allegations of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and embezzlement.
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law – J.D.1991
- The Order of Barristers, Lord Chief Baron
- J. Cleo Thompson Scholar
- Associate Editor, SMU Law Review
The University of Texas at Austin – B.B.A., Finance, 1988
- Kenneth J. Olm Memorial Scholar
- Texas Wrangler 1985-1988
- Dean’s List 1985-87
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- D Magazine “Best Lawyers Under 40” in 2004 and 2006.
- Texas Monthly “Rising Star” 2006 and 2007.
State Bar of Texas Trade Secret Litigation Committee
Murphy Chamber of Commerce
PISD Facilities Bond Committee member
Board Member of the Dallas All Sports Association.
Steering Committee Member of the Richardson Chamber of Commerce’s
Technology Business Council Wireless Forum.
Member Plano Independent School District Attendance Boundary Committee.
Co-Chair 2004 Collin County Bond Committee.
Plano East Football Booster Club President
McMillan High School Booster Club President 2013-2014.
Youth sports coach in various sports organizations in Plano and Collin County.
ADMISSIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
Admitted to Texas Bar 1991.
United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Specially admitted in federal courts in Illinois, California, Arizona and Wisconsin, and state courts in Georgia and Minnesota.
Member State Bar of Texas, Dallas and Collin County Bar Associations.
Member State Bar of Texas Trade Secrets Working Group.
Founder and first President of the Collin County Bar Association Civil Litigation Section.
Board Member Texas General Counsel’s Forum, DFW Chapter 2004-2007.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Author “State Regulations Update: States Expand the Type of Leaves Available to Employees,” Employment Relations Today, Winter 2017.
Presenter Leveraging Technology in the Courtroom: Planning and Creating Winning Digital Trial Presentations, Strafford Seminars, July 6, 2016.
Presenter UT School of Law, Essential Non-Compete and Trade Secret Law: A Practical Guide to Talent Management, October 7, 2016.
Panelist “Effective Dispute Resolution Management for Small Law Departments,” ABA Section of Business Law Spring Conference, Washington, D.C., March 16, 2007.
Featured in the November 24, 2006, Dallas Business Journal article “Trolling for Patents.”
Author 2006 Annual Update Trade Secret and Unfair Competition Cases State Bar IP Section.
Author “Litigation Post eBay” IP Law 360, October 2006.
Author “Managing the ‘Bet the Company’ Case,” Texas Lawyer, July 3, 2006.
Presentation “Amendments to the Federal Rules Impacting E-Discovery” December 2006, Collin County Bar Association.
Author “Are You Prepared for the Challenge of Effectively Managing E-Discovery?”
Chair Texas General Counsel Forum program on “The Role of Apology in the Law, September 2005, Dallas, Texas.
Guest Lecturer University of Virginia, Invention and Design class at the request of Professor Michael E. Gorman, 2003 and 2005.
Presentation “Covenants Not to Compete and the Doctrine of Inevitable Disclosure” Plano Bar Association, Fall 2003.
Author and Presenter “Relations with Competitors,” Lorman Conference entitled “Basic Intellectual Property Law for the General Practitioner in Texas,” June 21, 2001, San Antonio, Texas.
Bob Garrey is amazing! He has helped me out so much. He’s very informative and keeps me updated on everything. If you are looking for a caring and professional lawyer, he’s your guy!. Bob, as well as his paralegal, both worked diligently to get the type of outcome I wanted with the case. His excellent communication skills helped me feel prepared and confident through each step of the process. I definitely recommend Bob Garrey and the “Saunders, Walsh & Beard” law firm. I’m thankful I’ve found them.
I worked with Bob Garrey and wow!! What a compassionate, caring and all around great human being. His no-nonsense attitude and zero tolerance for bullying really put me at ease when dealing with a former employer. Bob and his team were diligent, responsive and reliable. Any questions that I had Bob and his team were immediately there to help!! Thank you, Bob, for everything!!