M. Shannon Kackley, Senior Associate
M. Shannon Kackley joined Saunders, Walsh, & Beard in 2018 as a Senior Associate. Mr. Kackley handles city attorney, governmental entity, general and special counsel, ad valorem tax, real estate, finance economic development, planning, zoning, construction, open meetings, public information, governmental/official immunity, litigation, and appellate matters.
Areas of Practice
- Governmental and Municipal Law
Courts of Admittance
- Supreme Court of the State of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States Tax Court
Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- LL.M., Master of Laws – 2001
Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
- B.A. – 1991
- Instructor, Garland’s Police Academy
- U.S. Army, 1986 – 1989
- Bradley Fighting Vehicle with the 24th ID in Fort Stewart, GA, Assistant Squad Leader
Pro Bono Activities
- Housing Trust Fund Board Member for the City of Frisco
- Grant Judge for Plano I.S.D. Education Foundation
- House on the Corner, Christ United Methodist Church, Plano, Texas
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Municipal League
- Texas City Attorneys Association
- Collin County Bar Association
- Member of the Choctaw Nation
Mr. Kackley was previously employed at Denton, Navarro, Rocha, Bernal & Zech, P.C. in Austin, Texas, where he represented cities in Central and Coastal Texas. In addition, he served as General Counsel to economic development corporations. Mr. Kackley worked on the following matters affecting municipalities and economic development corporations: real estate; economic development agreements; ordinances; performance agreements; tax increment reinvestment zones; resolutions; open meetings; public information; contract negotiations; budgets; finance; procurement; personnel; tax abatement agreements; annexations; planning and zoning matters; interlocal agreements; ad valorem taxes; and sales and use taxes.
Prior to working at Denton, Navarro, Rocha, Bernal & Zech, P.C., Mr. Kackley worked at Gay, McCall, Isaacks, Gordon & Roberts, P.C. in Plano, Texas where he was general counsel to municipalities and special districts in North Texas. He also handled litigation, and appellate matters.
Mr. Kackley was an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Garland, Texas. He was the Chief Municipal Prosecutor before transferring to the Civil Litigation Division. He taught Fourth Amendment classes at the City’s Police Academy and successfully defended the constitutionality of Garland’s Municipal Court before the Court of Appeals in Dallas, Texas. He advised departmental directors, and he worked with the Police Department and Code Enforcement to abate public nuisances within the city.
Mr. Kackley served in the U.S. Army from 1986 to 1989. He is a graduate of Airborne School and served as an Assistant Squad Leader on a Bradley Fighting Vehicle with the 24th ID, Fort Stewart, GA.
Mr. Kackley has served as a Housing Trust Fund Board Member for the City of Frisco, and a Grant Judge for the Plano I.S.D. Education Foundation.